New Patient Consultation - No Charge!
Since no two people are the same, why would anyone think the reason one is over-weight is exactly the same as another? In fact, there are many reasons why people are over-weight and we want to find that reason in you and help you get to a happier, healthier weight.
We want to find the reason for your weight gain, then address that issue. It seems unreasonable to us to force you into a restricted diet if the real problem is a food allergy or hormone imbalance. Let's find the cause and fix it!
There are a number of medical conditions which cause or contribute to obesity. If this is the underlying cause of someone being overweight, no diet in the world will help.
Thyroid Disorder: The Thyroid gland is a butterfly-shaped organ that is located low on the front of the neck, just above the collar bone, which controls many aspects of your metabolism. A deficiency in the thyroid for any reason is called hypothyroidism and a common result is unintended weight gain.
Adrenal Disorder: We each have two adrenal glands, located on top of the kidneys. This small gland is a major player in our hormone system, producing dozens or more hormones when stimulated by parts of the brain. One such hormone is Cortisol, which has been designated by many as the "stress hormone." Cortisol is supposed to fluctuate throughout the day from a morning peak to a midnight low. When a person lives under extreme stress for a long time, the body's ability to regulate cortisol is compromised. This leads to stress eating (think of the time you ate a pint of ice cream and a bag of cookies) and weight gain.
Cushing's Disease/Cushing's Syndrome: This is a complex medical condition which itself can have several factors. These patients may have - in addition to unexplained weight gain - an accumulation of fat high on the back, near the neck (a buffalo hump).
A very common reason for being overweight is eating the foods we know are bad for us. In a busy society, it is much easier to run through a fast food drive-in, or order a pizza for delivery. But these foods - and drinks - are horrible for us. They have little if any nutritional value, are high in calories, and cause us to be overweight. Here's a brief rundown on what's wrong:
Fats - We love eating fats, even if we don't know it. Bacon? Fat. Cheese? Fat A burger? Lots of fat. That Bacon Cheeseburger for lunch? Fat. Add in french fries (fried in... fat) and - you get the idea. Our bodies have a difficult time processing fat from our diets, moving it into cells. The membranes around each of the several hundred trillion cells in your body is made from the fat you ate 6 months ago.
High Carbs - This part of our diet is filling and provides some immediate energy. Unfortunately, when we eat too many carbs, our body converts them to fat for storage - around the belly, on the thighs and backside and inside the body in every nook and cranny. This is cumulative - which means it adds up meal, after meal. If you overeat for breakfast, EVERYTHING you eat for lunch and dinner can be stored.
Proteins - No fat, no carbs, no storage in unsightly places.
High Fructose Corn Syrup - Despite the enticing TV images of a wholesome young mom walking through a corn field in Iowa, high fructose corn syrup is NOT natural. It may have come from corn, but it is nothing Mother Nature ever conceived. This is - without question - your biggest enemy in obesity. This forces your body to store fat on top of fat on top of fat. READ EVERY FOOD LABEL! If it contains HFCS, stay way away!
Most adults know an allergic reaction when they see one. Seasonal allergies cause facial swelling, watery eyes and nose, and fatigue. Yet, when they eat something and begin to feel nausea or indigestion, bloating or worse, they may not associate it with a food allergy. Not all food allergies cause a swollen mouth and throat - requiring immediate administration of epinephrine. Some cause bloating, loose and foul-smelling stool and exhaustion.
Could a food allergy be the reason for your extra weight?
The best reason to invest in medical weight loss is to find the best plan for you, based on your circumstances. Our approaches to treatment include:
- Balancing thyroid and adrenal hormones (including Cortisol)
- Very Low Calorie (VLC) Diets, with HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin)
- Nutrition counseling
- Exercise counseling
- Lipotropic (fat-burner) injections
- Prescription medications
What is HCG?
- This is a hormone produced by the uterus in pregnant women; it is the basis of the pregnancy test.
- The function of the hormone during pregnancy is to signal the brain that the body will soon be experiencing a “famine” condition. That is, the woman will not be ingesting enough calories in food to sustain both mother and child.
- HCG negates or “turns off” other hormones that signal hunger, specifically the hormones Leptin and Ghrelin.
- It is produced by both men and women in trace amounts all the time.
How does the diet work?
- When this hormone is given in small amounts to otherwise healthy people, the hunger hormones turn “off.” This allows a person to eat a very low-calorie diet and not feel hungry.
- With a very low-calorie diet, the body will pull energy from your fat reserves – without feeling hungry, dropping your metabolism, or losing muscle mass. It only burns fat.
- The hormone itself does not dissolve the fat, but it makes the very low-calorie diet possible, and that dissolves your fat.
- Your metabolism is “reset” making it possible for your body to maintain your new weight!
Is it safe?
- HCG has been used for weight loss for more than 60 years.
- It is extremely safe, when used appropriately
- It is safe to use in both men and women
- It may improve fertility or ease the symptoms of perimenopause and low Testosterone
- Many patients have decreased their risk factors and medications, making them healthier and more likely to live long and healthy lives!
- You SHOULD NOT use HCG if:
o you are pregnant or nursing,
o have ever had a blood clot or DVT.
o you have any immune conditions, or
o history of cancer.
What is involved in the program?
- The program is 3 weeks. If you are losing weight, you may extend in 3-week intervals.
- Daily doses of HCG. We offer two options:
o Injections, using a very small insulin-type syringe that is nearly painless;
o A troche (lozenge) that dissolves under your tongue
o Either can be effective, but the injections have proven more effective with my patients
- Weigh yourself daily at home
- Weekly visits to check-in on how you are feeling and your progress, be weighed and measured.
- Very low-calorie diet for 3, followed by low carbohydrate diet for 3 weeks to “lock in” your body’s changes.
- Minimal to low amounts of light exercise
- Back to a normal, healthy diet at the end.
How much can I expect to lose?
- Every-body is different, but on average you can expect:
o 15-20 pounds weight loss in 3 weeks
- What if I need to lose more than that?
o You can do multiple rounds of the diet, with a break period between cycles.
What are the costs, and what does that include?
- Cost of the program includes:
o Initial Weight Loss Consult
o An Informational Booklet and Daily Log to track your progress
o All weekly visits with the doctor during the program
o Before and After photos
o All doses of HCG
o A weekly injection of a lipotropic (fat-burning) medicine, such as the combination of Vitamin B12 and MIC (Methionine, Inositol, Choline)
- The cost does not include:
o Initial laboratory tests
o The cost of your new wardrobe
- Initial 3-week session: $375.00. We can accept this divided over the three weeks, if desired.
- Subsequent 3-week sessions: $325.00
- This is a substantial savings over similar programs in the Valley – we are doing our best to keep this program as accessible as possible!
- A fabulous new figure!
- Live longer and healthier
- Form new and healthy habits
- Decrease sugar cravings
- Lower blood pressure
- Lower cholesterol
- Better metabolism of blood sugar
- Fewer joint pains
- More energy
- Better mental clarity
- Less muscle tension
- Fewer headaches
- Decreased allergy symptoms
- A better sense of well-being
- Better sleep
- Decreased snoring or sleep apnea
Lipotrophic injections are also called the "Fat-Burner Shot" at some clinics. It is an injection (arm or gluteus - your choice) of approximately one milliliter of a combination of Vitamin B12 and MIC
(Methionine, Inositol, and Choline). This combination is intended to boost your body's breakdown of fats, and help you to lose weight.
Don't expect to lose a lot of weight with this injection alone; rather, use it with a combination of a supervised diet and increased activity. Many of my patients come in regularly for an injection. It is essentially painless, and they enjoy more energy and a sense of better health.
Lipotrophic injections are $25, each. However, we offer package deals of six (6) or twelve (12) injections for a deeply discounted rate.
Vitamin B12 - Cobalamin - is used in literally dozens of biochemical reactions in the human body. It is, along with Folic Acid, necessary for the proper functioning of DNA. Absent adequate amounts of B12, DNA activity slows and with it the rest of us.
Most people don't know or care about the activity of B12. They just know a periodic injection boosts energy and metabolism.
Phentermine is commonly requested as a weight loss medication. Typically, patients take a tablet or capsule, once a day in the morning, or a smaller dose before meals. Use should be limited to a few weeks. In our experience, patients typically lose about 10 pounds in a month.
Because of the risk of side effects (it amps up metabolism), we limit this to patient who are obese and have other issues such as hypertension or diabetes. Frankly, it is not our favorite option for weight loss.
Food allergies are now widely recognized as a source of discomfort, bloating, pain, nausea, diarrhea and more.
At the extreme, a person allergic to peanuts can develop potentially fatal anaphylaxis if exposed to peanut products - such as eating in a restaurant where peanuts are prepared for consumption. Most food allergies are not that severe.
Anyone who is allergic to gluten - found in wheat and other grains - knows of the diarrhea and abdominal pain that follows a bite of pizza or toast. They know where to find gluten-free foods at the market and know the consequences of ignoring this food allergy.
Many or perhaps most people don't fully realize their food allergies - they just know they keep gaining weight, and worse, inches around the middle despite normal calories and moderate exercise.
There are several options for reputable food allergy testing. Most of the time it requires either a blood draw or a fingerstick for a couple of drops of blood. The labs we use will identify the food that triggers an immune response (allergy) and propose a rotation diet to help you eliminate the offending food.
A couple of years ago, I had as patients a couple who had been married for 50 years. They were high school sweethearts. She wanted him to be tested; he was reluctant because he did not want her to have to prepare special meals for him. So, she decided they both should be tested. After a month on the new diet plan, he had lost 40 pounds and several inches around his belly; she had lost 30 pounds. The day they stopped in the office for that follow-up, they were on their way to go rock climbing - at age 70! Not in a gym, but on a cliff - real rock climbing. They said they hadn't felt this good in decades!